When I posted my Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork, I said that I wanted to try a chicken version. Well, I’m about two months late but I finally tried it! I used a different recipe that I pulled off of Pinterest, although I’m sure the Pulled Pork sauce would be equally as good.
Believe it or not, there is a pulled pork vs. pulled chicken debate. Here are my nutrition discoveries based on 3 ounces, compliments of Livestrong.com:
- Pulled Pork: 283 calories
- Pulled Chicken: 184 calories
- Verdict: The pulled chicken will save you about 100 calories.
- Pulled Pork: 13 grams total fat (4 grams saturated fat and 97 milligrams of cholesterol)
- Pulled Chicken: 8 grams total fat (2 grams saturated fat and 68 milligrams of cholesterol)
- Verdict: The pulled chicken will save you 5 grams of fat.
Protein & Carbohydrates:
- Pulled Pork: 29 grams of protein and 10 grams of carbohydrates.
- Pulled Chicken: 20 grams of protein and 8 grams of carbohydrates.
- Verdict: The pulled pork will give you more protein.
It looks like pulled chicken has won this debate 2-1 against pulled pork. I do have to admit though, I really love a pulled pork sandwich. Or tacos. Or nachos. Keep mixing lean chicken into your dinner rotation and enjoy your pulled pork on occasion. 🙂
Skinny Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Tacos
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder (+1 teaspoon reserved)
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin (+3/4 teaspoon reserved)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies (I used Del Monte’s Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies)
- 1 medium scallion, diced
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and 1/8 teaspoon each of chili powder and cumin.
- Add black beans and diced tomatoes to slow cooker pot. Season with 1 teaspoon chili powder and 3/4 teaspoon cumin, mix well.
- Place chicken breasts on top of tomato-bean mixture. Cook on high for two hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Drain about 1/4-1/2 cup of liquid from pot.
- Return chicken to pot and shred with two forks. Turn slow cooker dial to “keep warm.” Sprinkle with scallions.
- Serve in taco shells/tortillas. Top pulled chicken with your favorites – avocado, shredded cheese, lettuce, onions, salsa.